[Avodah] Ta'am kitniyos

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Apr 15 07:15:38 PDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 09:51:04PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: So here is my question: Where, and from whom, do we first hear that
: Ashkenazim don't only avoid eating kitniyos be'en, but that we even avoid
: ingesting *ta'am* kitniyos.

RMF explains that one may drink whisky (51 weeks a year) aged in wine
casks because we do not prohibit ta'am stam yeinam. The core of his
argument is that stam yeinam is batel in only 1:6 (YD 134:5). One can
taste the wine in a mixture of one part wine to 6 parts water. (IM YD
1:62)

Well, qitniyos is batel berov. (Rama OC 453:1, see MB ad loc that explains
the Rama must mean where the qitniyos is a mi'ut, and is not permitting
every mixture.)

Bringing me to the need to switch the formula for KLP Coca Cola. Corn
is a late edition to qitniyos, as it is a New World plant.

Corn syrup adds the issue of mei qitniyos.

A 12 oz can of coke has 140 Cal (Pepsi: 150). High fructose corn syrup
is 4 Cal/gm, so that 12 fluid oz can cannot contain more than 35 gm =
1-1/4 oz (weight) mei qitniyos. Less than 10%, never mind rov.

So, the problem with standard American Coke is mei iffy-qitniyos that
is batul.

And yet it's avoided on Pesach?

(According to
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/07/coca-cola-taste-test_n_1324282.html>
80% of tasters prefer Mexican Coke, which -- like KLP Coke -- only
differs by the use of sugar rather than HFCS. So I hope no one from
Coke is actually reading this post.)

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             The mind is a wonderful organ
micha at aishdas.org        for justifying decisions
http://www.aishdas.org   the heart already reached.
Fax: (270) 514-1507