[Avodah] Can't taste the bitterness

David Wacholder via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Apr 15 07:49:20 PDT 2016

   1. R' Micha pointed out the Yerushalmi  discussion whether Chassa metuka
   sweet lettuce is kosher. That shows that the name - Chazeret Chasa -
   synonymous with Marror is sufficient, and bitter taste is not necessary.
   2.  R' Chaim Kanievsky points out that the Chazon Ish - Orach Chaim page
   398 in Otzar Hachochma - strongly rejects that conclusion from the
   Yerushalmi! (hat tip to R' Kalman Gutman!)
   3. After 6 lines pointing out how vital the taste of Maror is, CI shows
   the absurds of such a conclusion -  if so you can leave the Maror in
   Chazeres, and need not taste it at all - swallow in a sieve - and since any
   vegetable which is bitter is sufficient to be Yotzei, we see that the
   bitter taste is the governing principle.
   4.
   5. CI concludes with Chacham Tzvi #119 that one must wait until your
   lettuce is bitter, but only mildly bitter, not totally beyond edible.
   6. Thus we should pursue bitter lettuce. The paradox is that the lettuce
   industry spends all its resources to prevent "bolting" - becoming bitter.
   The economy runs on sweet lettuce, as CI also pointed out. Pesach is in
   spring, so it is not so simple.
   7. That would be the practical problem the Yerushalmi is attacking. You
   do not need the strongest bitterness, mild transitional bitterness
   sufficient.
   8. The super-kosher bug-free industry now markets "greenhouse" kale and
   arugula, which are mildly bitter. I purchased both last night. Usually they
   are used by French chefs.

This is a classic Chazon Ish. He wanted Torah based lifestyle, and Mehadrin
bitterness in Maror fits right in with his theme. Build on the sound simple
meaning of the Torah.

--
David Wacholder

Email: dwacholder at gmail.com