[Avodah] The Arba Parshiyos

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 6 15:22:25 PDT 2016

On 04/06/2016 06:10 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2016 at 05:50:35PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> : On 04/06/2016 04:26 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> :> As we do it today, there are also gaps between the parshios...
> :> The mishnah seems to imply otherwise.
>
> : I don't think so.  I think it refers to the set of shabbosos that we
> : know how to identify.  On the gap shabbos/os, of course, we read
> : whichever sidra is next on the roster...
>
> Then why mention the return to the usual parshios, the "back on track"
> for a couple of weeks until Pesach, but not the equally long not-on-track
> but still need to know what to lein parshios mid-sequence?

Yes, we're done with the interruption, and we're back in the groove.
The fact that the next interruption is already on the horizon is
irrelevant; it's the next interruption, not a continuation of this one.

>> How does Qeri'as haTorah do that?  On the contrary it seems to argue
>> for a Bavli origin of Ashkenazim.

> Then why did Ashk start out triennial?

I've never heard that it did.

> Aqdamus is a legacy of the triennial cycle.

How so?

> (You might recall my mentioning that the version Ashk used made the
> siyum every third Shavuos.)

Sorry, I don't recall that.

> Its placement also reflects leining with targum, something that
> died (outside of Yemen) far later in places where the sedros were
>  shorter.

Is there evidence for that, or is it just speculation?   BTW Targum
survived in some communities for some special readings, even after it
stopped being used for the whole Torah.  So it's possible that when
and where Akdamos were written it was still done on Shavuos even if
it wasn't the whole year.

> Also, the last places Simchas Torah was accepted was Ashkenaz and
> finally Egypt.

Again, is this established, or speculation derived from precisely
the proposition that you are trying to derive from it?

BTW I just came across another survival of ancient minhag EY: The
kiddush Rosh Chodesh that is well-attested in EY in the first millennium
(e.g. in Mas' Sofrim and in the list of differences between EY and Bavel)
survived into the 13th century in the Minhag-EY shul in Fostat, but only
on Rosh Chodesh Nissan.   Eventually minhag EY died out in Egypt too,
but the idea of having a special seder Rosh Chodesh Nissan lived on,
and is still practised by Egyptian Jews today, under the name "Seder
al-Tawhid" (Seder Hayyichud).

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week