[Avodah] The Arba Parshiyos

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 6 15:10:18 PDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 06, 2016 at 05:50:35PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: On 04/06/2016 04:26 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
:> As we do it today, there are also gaps between the parshios...
:> The mishnah seems to imply otherwise.

: I don't think so.  I think it refers to the set of shabbosos that we
: know how to identify.  On the gap shabbos/os, of course, we read
: whichever sidra is next on the roster...

Then why mention the return to the usual parshios, the "back on track"
for a couple of weeks until Pesach, but not the equally long not-on-track
but still need to know what to lein parshios mid-sequence?

:> Qeri'as haTorah and (to pick up a topic from later) piyut are two of
:> the stronger pieces of evidence utilized by those who believe that
:> Ashkenazi practice shows the effects of a grater influx of Jews from
:> EY than among Sepharadim.

: How does Qeri'as haTorah do that?  On the contrary it seems to argue
: for a Bavli origin of Ashkenazim.

Then why did Ashk start out triennial? Admittedly, it changed by Rashi's
day, so "start out" was quite short, but still, there are records of
debate about it.

Aqdamus is a legacy of the triennial cycle. (You might recall my
mentioning that the version Ashk used made the siyum every third
Shavuos.) Its placement also reflects leining with targum, something that
died (outside of Yemen) far later in places where the sedros were shorter.
There are better indicators, but this period in Jewish History is more
RRW's thing than mine.

Also, the last places Simchas Torah was accepted was Ashkenaz and
finally Egypt.

Micha Berger             It is a glorious thing to be indifferent to
micha at aishdas.org        suffering, but only to one's own suffering.
http://www.aishdas.org                 -Robert Lynd, writer (1879-1949)
Fax: (270) 514-1507