[Avodah] A Potential Role of Orthodox Judaism in a "Fractured Republic"

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jun 21 02:57:08 PDT 2016

[Rabbi] "Meir Soloveichik on Yuval Levin's 'The Fractured Republic'"
<http://j.mp/28LTzNU> or
https://www.commentarymagazine.com/articles/meir-soloveichik-yuval-levins-fractured-republic

    ... Levin is undoubtedly correct about the state of American
    religion, both in diagnosis and prescription, and reading his book
    has made me more convinced that it is at this moment that American
    Orthodox Judaism may have found a unique calling. As Rabbi Joseph
    Soloveitchik has pointed out, religious Jews have always sought
    to embody Abraham's identification of himself in the Bible as a
    ger vetoshav--a stranger and a neighbor, aware of what makes one
    different while engaging the world and, like Abraham in Canaan,
    speaking candidly and eloquently about why they are different. Last
    summer, an Ivy League-educated lawyer who is also a devout Christian,
    struck by how so many traditionalists feel that they now live in a
    culture not welcoming to them...

    As I argued in a recent symposium in Mosaic, the Jewish example
    can lead faith communities in a joint project to safeguard an
    America that will allow all of us to be "strangers and neighbors"
    --to fight for our religious freedom and distinctiveness, while
    also articulating a conservative vision of the American idea--and
    thereby illustrating how traditionalists can, in Levin's words,
    "live out their faiths and their ways in the world."

Micha Berger             One doesn't learn mussar to be a tzaddik,
micha at aishdas.org        but to become a tzaddik.
http://www.aishdas.org                         - Rav Yisrael Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507