[Avodah] FW: Fitbit on Shabbos

Moshe Yehuda Gluck via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 20 20:17:10 PDT 2016

R’ AM:
What about an ordinary old-fashioned film camera? Without a flash, there's nothing electrical about it. In fact, when one presses the shutter, nothing at all happens except that some chemical reactions occur in the film. Even after Shabbos, there is no visible change to the film, until after it has undergone some specific chemical treatment. Yet I've never seen a shomer shabbos person use such a camera on Shabbos, nor have I ever hear it suggested that it might only be d'rabanan.
<SNIP>
------------------
Old MYG:
That’s a great question, I think, about the film camera. I agree that it makes sense that it should be only a d’rabanan, except for Polaroid. And the d’rabanan may well be that since its entire purpose is to be in service to that Kesivah, it’s a Kli She’melachto L’issur, and therefore muktzah. But if that’s so, then the heteirim of muktzah would therefore apply, like tiltul min hatzad, and shvus d’shvus, l’tzorech gufo, and so on?
<SNIP>
After reading through it, I still don’t see any reason to prohibit it besides for Muktzah…
<SNIP>
Rabbi Bleich at this link (http://traditionarchive.org/news/originals/Volume%2035/No.%203/Survey%20of%20Recent.pdf) quotes R’ SZA that it’s “mistaver” that taking a film photo is assur m’drabanan. Rabbi Bleich himself is not so impressed with that argument.

New MYG:
I thought of another issur – taking a photo with a film camera is Hachanah, because you’re only taking it for the result that you will get in the Chol, after you develop the film. But this is also a d’oraysa.

KT and CKVS,
MYG