[Avodah] Black on black tefillin retzuos

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Mar 31 08:16:37 PDT 2016

On 03/31/2016 10:39 AM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:

> 1- Is black on the underside a problem of chatzitzah?

Even if it were paint on the underside it would be tafel to the leather
and thus not a chatzitzah.  But since it isn't painted on the underside,
it's the leather itself that's dyed black, the question doesn't even arise.

> 2- A question I asked before, but was not satisfied with an answer...
> When the leather is soaked in dye so that it's black through-and-through
> (which is why it lasts better), is it still `or as per the requirements for
> retzu'os?
>
> As a parallel, to explain why I had the question.... Tekheiles is blue
> wool. Plain wool and dyed wool have different names, belong to different
> categories. In the past, we didn't use leather that was dyed all the
> way through. Does anyone address how we know whether it remains in the
> same category?

Techeles, Argaman, and Tolaas Shani are all subsets of Tzemer.  If
Techeles were not still Tzemer there would be no shaatnez problem
with putting it on a linen talles, and thus no need for a pasuk to
permit it.  Nor would there be a shaatnez problem with the avnet of
a kohen.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week