[Avodah] Black on black tefillin retzuos

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Mar 31 07:39:03 PDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 03:51:45PM +0300, Marty Bluke via Avodah wrote:
: I am looking to get new retzuos as the paint is peeling off my current
: retzuos. There seem to be 2 basic options, the traditional black on one
: side white on the other and the new black on both sides. Anyone have any
: experience with black on black? Does it really last better?

Yes it does.

But.... I approved this post move to launch a halachic question I had.
(Answers about the longevity of such retzu'of would be more for Areivim
than here. Unless you include both in one email..)

1- Is black on the underside a problem of chatzitzah?

2- A question I asked before, but was not satisfied with an answer...
When the leather is soaked in dye so that it's black through-and-through
(which is why it lasts better), is it still `or as per the requirements for
retzu'os?

As a parallel, to explain why I had the question.... Tekheiles is blue
wool. Plain wool and dyed wool have different names, belong to different
categories. In the past, we didn't use leather that was dyed all the
way through. Does anyone address how we know whether it remains in the
same category?

Micha Berger             Our greatest fear is not that we're inadequate,
micha at aishdas.org        Our greatest fear is that we're powerful
http://www.aishdas.org   beyond measure
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Anonymous