[Avodah] malchei yisrael

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Mar 30 15:11:22 PDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 07:37:58AM -0800, saul newman via Avodah wrote:
:                                             I don't see where rZS's
: gentile principle of the people deciding should hold any sway, anymore
: than if they decide to move shabbat to tuesday. There is no hetter for
: a non-Davidic line scion. on that basis alone the people were wrong.

What they did was assur, unless (as you note in text I deleted) it's
a navi's hora'as sha'ah.

But whether or not the pe'ulah is assur, it might still have a chalos.

(This is an interesting and common use of the word bedi'eved. There is
also bedi'eved as applied to the action, which I think is less common.
I also think it would only apply to an asei -- don't plan on doing the
mitzvah that way, but if you did it without knowing / without planning, you
are yotzei.)

As for "gentile principle", another example is marriage. Bereishis 2
"vedavaq be'ishto vehayu lebasar echad" as well as the Noachide issur
arayos define a concept of pre-Sinai marriage. Having qiddushin doesn't
rule out that concept still applying to us. Cases where qiddushin isn't
chal, but they are still married in terms of eishes ish, or perhaps
"kemaaseh Eretz Mitzrayim".

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l