[Avodah] Moshiach Ben Yosef

Arie Folger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Mar 14 16:24:31 PDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 10:21 PM, Zev Sero <zev at sero.name> wrote:

> On 03/14/2016 05:06 PM, Arie Folger via Avodah wrote:
>
>> I wonder, must we believe that mashiach can appear any minute?
>>

> Yes.  "Hayom im bekoli tishma`u".  And the beggar at the gates of Rome
> changing his bandages one at a time, because at any moment he might get
> the call.

I must have expressed myself unclearly. I am asking, must we believe he can
come any second, and concommitant with that, that redemption will therefore
be quite instantaneously (kinds don't appear typically out of nowhere. It
takes years to be accepted, to build an administration and to achieve the
kinds of successes we expect mashiach to show)? Or must we hope all the
time for him to finally appear.

The latter possibility allows for a slower process of unfolding.

Lulei demistafina, I'd say bekhol yom akhakeh lo means I hope for him, not
that the process will necessarily be possibly completed in a day.
--
Arie Folger,
Recent blog posts on http://rabbifolger.net/

* Koscheres Geld (Podcast)
<http://rabbifolger.net/2016/02/15/koscheres-geld-podcast/>

* Kennt die Existenz nur den Chaos? G”ttliches Vorsehen im Jüdischen
Gedankengut (Podcast)
<http://rabbifolger.net/2016/02/14/kennt-die-existenz-nur-den-chaos-gttliches-vorsehen-im-judischen-gedankengut-podcast/>

* Halacha zum Wochenabschnitt: Baruch Hu uWaruch Schemo
<http://rabbifolger.net/2016/02/11/halacha-zum-wochenabschnitt-baruch-hu-uwaruch-schemo/>

* Is there Order to the World? Providence in Jewish Thought
<http://rabbifolger.net/2016/02/09/is-there-order-to-the-world-providence-in-jewish-thought/>

* What is Modern Orthodoxy (from a radio segment)
<http://rabbifolger.net/2016/02/08/what-is-modern-orthodoxy-from-a-radio-segment/>