[Avodah] malchei yisrael

saul newman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Mar 10 07:37:58 PST 2016

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 8:35 PM, Zev Sero <zev at sero.name> wrote:
>> please explain the halachic basis to allow  breaking away from the
>> kingship  of a scion of  david melech yisrael...

> Well, for one thing they had a navi's endorsement.  But more generally,
> it's the right of any nation to choose a king of their own liking.
> A king's legitimacy ultimately stems from the people's recognition, and
> if they stop recognising him then he's no longer their king.  Ein melech
> belo `am....

the only answer acceptable is the Navi's endorsement [ though i can't
fathom why RBSO would affirm direct contravention of his Biblically
mandated precept of a Yehuda-based Malchus. I don't see where rZS's
gentile principle of the people deciding should hold any sway, anymore
than if they decide to move shabbat to tuesday. There is no hetter for
a non-Davidic line scion. on that basis alone the people were wrong. I
suppose they could have murdered the king to get another Judean sibling,
but Partition of the patrimony was not lechatchila an option. Why Hashem
sanctioned it is another question. Especially since He knew that their
punishment would be banishment from Nation Israel until almost the end
of time....