[Avodah] Halacha Yomis - Hafrashas challah, disposal

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Mar 7 12:17:30 PST 2016

On 03/07/2016 03:02 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> In chu"l (even Suriah), since challah is derabbanan, a kohein who is
> tamei where the tu'mah is not migufo MAY eat challah. (SA YD 322:5)
> Therefore, It used to be common to give challah to a kohein who is too
> young to be a problem of qeri, zav/ah, niddah or yoledes. Lemaaseh the
> minhag was below the age of 9. This is still the norm among Teimanim.

AIUI the reason we no longer do this is because we have no kohanim
meyuchasim, but only kohanei chazaka.  When it comes to pidyon haben
we have no choice, so we rely on the chazaka, but with chalah we have
a choice so we don't.  It would seem to follow that if one has a cohen
meyuchas (e.g. from Djerba) who is a katan then the chalah should be
given to him.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week