[Avodah] Shaming a gett refuser

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Mar 3 17:54:05 PST 2016

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 09:17:15PM +0200, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
: My translation of a piece Rav Chayim Navon wrote about the Rabbinate's
: decision to allow public shaming of a gett refuser:
:
:     The shaming of gett refuser Oded Gaz is justified. Why? Because
:     this is what the beit din ruled to do... Lynching someone on the web
:     simply because he's different, or because I'm suspicious of him,
:     or I don't like his opinion, or he said something wrong (faux pas),
:     that's disgusting....

It's interesting... If BD tells you to shame a mesareiv gett or a
mesareiv BD so that they cannot even determine if he is mechuyav to give
a gett, it's a mitzvah, and the gett would still be kosher.

Do the same on your own initiative, and unless you have halachic right
to consider the guy a rasha, it's assur. AND worse, any gett you thereby
elicit would be ma'usah. YET worse, if you make his life sufficiently
misrable, the possibility of gett me'usah has to be ruled out in the case
of any gett he later gives -- and how do you prove someone's motives?

Micha Berger             Never must we think that the Jewish element
micha at aishdas.org        in us could exist without the human element
http://www.aishdas.org   or vice versa.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch