[Avodah] dealing with trans-gender

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Feb 26 09:19:23 PST 2016

On 02/26/2016 09:47 AM, Zev Sero wrote:
> Incidentally, there was just an appeals court decision that turned in
> part on a document translated from Hebrew in which two terror victims
> were named, followed by the phrase "May Their Memory Be a Blessing".
> In English that's a mouthful, and draws attention to itself both by its
> length and its not being a familiar phrase.

On reflection the translator should have rendered this idiomatically
rather than literally, as "the late".  In Hebrew as it is spoken and
understood, that is all Z"L means.

Torah connection: The Rambam's famous letter to his translator,
R Shmuel ibn Tibbon, in which he instructs him to translate idioms
into equivalent ones in the target language, without regard for their
literal meaning.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week