[Avodah] free will

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jan 22 00:49:34 PST 2016

: Today most scientists no longer accept Freud that each person has some
: subconscious that can't be identified that controls many of man's actions.

You sure about that? They might not agree with Freud -- or R Yisrael
Salanter, who spoke about der dunkl decades before Freud -- about
what it's like. But the idea of thoughts we aren't self-aware of
being a major factor in our decisions has not AFAIK been retired. >>

Out of my field of expertise. However, I understood the argument of Shnerb
was that
if there is no way to know the subconscious then it is meaningless to it
being
a factor in our decisions.  You can make any comment you want about the
subconscious and there
is no way to verify it or to deny it.

i.e. a theory that cannot be checked is a worthless theory.

--
Eli Turkel