[Avodah] Halacha Yomis - Hafrashas challah, disposal

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Feb 26 05:54:38 PST 2016

  How should I dispose of the challah that I separated?

OU Kosher

OU Kosher Halacha Yomis
This column is dedicated in memory of:
Rav Chaim Yisroel Belsky, zt'l
Senior OU Kosher Halachic Consultant (1987-2016)

Q. How should I dispose of the challah that I separated?

A. In the days of the Beis Hamikdash, challah was given to a Kohen
who was required to eat it when he was tahor (ritually clean). Since
today our challah is tamei (ritually unclean), it is not eaten by the
Kohen. Instead, we have a mitzvah to burn it. Because challah may not
be eaten, it is like all other non-kosher foods, and should not be
placed directly on kosher pans or on the oven surface. If the oven is
empty or is being used to bake dry items (such as bread), one may
place the challah dough on a separate piece of aluminum foil. If
there are foods in the oven that contain liquid, or that are oily,
such as meat and poultry, one should wrap the challah dough in
aluminum foil. Preferably it should be wrapped in a double layer of
foil to prevent tears. The challah should be left in the oven until
it is thoroughly burnt. One should flatten the dough as much as
possible, so that it will burn more easily.