[Avodah] Is it Musar to Buy Chocolate?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Dec 18 11:17:39 PST 2015

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 6:40pm GMT, Rich, R Joel wrote:
: I wonder whether there is a concept that just because you can afford to
: do something, and it is not specifically forbidden, it doesn't mean it is
: preferred to do it? A Kosher trip I recently saw advertised "The Best,
: No Matter What The Cost", should this be considered appropriate?

Are you talking about the medrash on Qedoshim Tihyu "perushim tihyu"
and what's likely the most famous comment by the Ramban?
Available in English in a blog quote within
<http://hitzeiyehonatan.blogspot.com/2013/04/aharei-mot-kedoshim-ramban.html>

My comment about RSS's position was based on his discussion of just
that Ramban? Too much is being defined as when it becomes an end in
itself, a distraction from life's real goals.

In fact, RSS holds that holiness is defined by that commitment. This is
ki Qadosh Ani. Hashem had not indulgences to be poreish from! He
simply has One Purpose. We, in order to emulate His Qedushah need
to separate from other purrposes. So, the mitzvah of becoming holy will
require perishus, but holy itself isn't perishus.

If was from his discussion of that that I was drawing from. See
<http://www.aishdas.org/asp/ShaareiYosher.pdf#page=2>

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             A person lives with himself for seventy years,
micha at aishdas.org        and after it is all over, he still does not
http://www.aishdas.org   know himself.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter