[Avodah] halachah and history

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Dec 17 00:09:47 PST 2015

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 12:45 AM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
> Well, if you buy into a different piece of my reasoning, that perhaps
> those loyal to HQBH had their own appointed "kohein gadol" even though
> a Misyavein held the title and served in a Zeusified temple, then you
> could say that the Yochanan KG wasn't one from the list just as much as
> I could suggest it's Mordchai-ben-Yochanan who was the "KG in exile",
> (so to speak).

Of course this is pure speculation. There is know hint the sources of a
Cohen gadol in exile.

Yochanan kohen gadol is depicted as being kohen gadol for 80 years,
issuing several takanot and becoming a Sadduccee at the end of his life.

It would seem hard to reconcile this with the father of Matisyahu and also
being an "unofficial" cohen gadol.

--
Eli Turkel