[Avodah] halachah and history

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Dec 16 14:45:54 PST 2015

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 02:31:08PM +0200, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
: As I previously brought down 3 possibilities are mentioned in the miforshim.
: Using Micha's reasoning
: and since the high priests after the time of Matisyahu are well known it
: would seem the only possibility of John Hyrcanus.

Well, if you buy into a different piece of my reasoning, that perhaps
those loyal to HQBH had their own appointed "kohein gadol" even though
a Misyavein held the title and served in a Zeusified temple, then you
could say that the Yochanan KG wasn't one from the list just as much as
I could suggest it's Mordchai-ben-Yochanan who was the "KG in exile",
(so to speak).