[Avodah] Chizkiyahu's Seal

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Dec 13 20:26:41 PST 2015

From: Micha Berger via Avodah  <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>

....In case someone missed it, discussed  on Torah  Musings
http://www.torahmusings.com/2015/12/hezekiahs-seal

The image of the winged sun is clear in Hezekiah's seal. ....

     ....In going through the above mentioned  thread, I saw a reference
to an absolutely fascinating  source. It is in Midrash Ruth Rabbah
5:4. There, R. Abun  presents a list of celestial entities that have
wings,  with prooftexts. The relevant section reads, We have heard
that the sun has wings,as it says (Mal. 3:20): But unto you  that
fear My name shall the sun of righteousness arise  with healing
in its wings. Even the verse from Malachi is  remarkable in and
of itself, within the context of the  seal [--Josh Berman]

      [Look up the pasuq at
<http://j.mp/1lAKUQV>, I can't cut-n-paste the Hebrew.  -micha]

Micha  Berger
micha at aishdas.org

For one sense -- perhaps THE sense --  in which the sun has  "wings," see
these amazing NASA photographs of the sun's corona during an  eclipse:

http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/2008/images/gal_001.jpg

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0907/corona_vangorp_big.jpg

--Toby Katz
t613k at aol.com