[Avodah] Chizkiyahu's Seal

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Dec 11 06:54:23 PST 2015

On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 08:23:42PM -0500, Micha Berger wrote:
: LeChizqiyahu [ben] Achaz Melekh Yehudah (spelled Yhdh, no vav).

: Now to figure out why someone known for stamping out AZ had on his
: seal a two-winged sun with by ankh symbols on each side. The ankh
: is a life symbol, but it is also found in pictures of Egyptian
: deities including pharoahs.

In case someone missed it, discussed on Torah Musings
http://www.torahmusings.com/2015/12/hezekiahs-seal

Snippets:

     The image of the winged sun is clear in Hezekiah's seal. Less clear
     is what it precisely symbolizes. Is the sun here a representation
     of Hashem, as per Ps. 84:12? Or,perhaps, the might of Hezekiah
     himself? Who offers protection, symbolized by the wings again,
     God, or his servant the king? Perhaps the symbol conflates king
     and God. It is difficult to say. What is clear is that the symbol
     in no way suggests that Hezekiah worshipped an Egyptian deity.
     Were that case, the very name on the seal would read "Hezek-Amun", or
     "Hezek-Re". "Hizki-yahu" leaves no doubts as to this monarch's
     loyalties.
     I raise this discussion not with the intent of surveying the full
     history of halachic interpretation to this verse, and certainly not
     with the aim of offering halachic guidance on the question today.
     Rather, I raise it with an eye toward how this verse may have
     been understood by a pious Judean king in the 8th century BCE.
     The simple meaning of Ex. 20:20 would seem not to limit such a king
     from employing these images. While the Rambam (Avodah Zarah 3:9)
     adopts the gemaras conclusion forbidding a graven image of the sun
     such as that found on Hezekiah's seal, the debate in the gemara may
     reflect a longstanding difference of opinion on the understanding
     of this verse.
     Josh Berman Dec 10, 15 at 4:43 pm

     In going through the above mentioned thread, I saw a reference
     to an absolutely fascinating source. It is in Midrash Ruth Rabbah
     5:4. There, R. Abun presents a list of celestial entities that have
     wings, with prooftexts. The relevant section reads, We have heard
     that the sun has wings,as it says (Mal. 3:20): But unto you that
     fear My name shall the sun of righteousness arise with healing
     in its wings. Even the verse from Malachi is remarkable in and
     of itself, within the context of the seal - [Look up the pasuq at
     <http://j.mp/1lAKUQV>, I can't cut-n-paste the Hebrew. -micha]

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             I always give much away,
micha at aishdas.org        and so gather happiness instead of pleasure.
http://www.aishdas.org           -  Rachel Levin Varnhagen
Fax: (270) 514-1507