[Avodah] Hallel - sung?

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Dec 9 19:13:39 PST 2015

R' Alexander Seinfeld asked:
: Is there a l'chatchila way to say Hallel? Chanted? Sung? In
: unison? Individually?

and R' Micha Berger answered:
> Responsively, I would think. Pesachim 119b says that this was
> the custom in some medinos.

Wouldn't that same Gemara be saying that it was *not* the custom in *other*
medinos? I've seen a recurring thought in Avodah over the years, that if
the Gemara prescribes a particular procedure, that must be the best way. If
we were to apply that principle here, wouldn't it be teaching us that both
ways are equally good?

Going back to the original question, it seems to me that I've often read
about Hallel being sung, especially in the context of the Korban Pesach.
Putting it to a tune seems important, but maybe that's *only* for Erev
Pesach?

Akiva Miller