[Avodah] Hallel - sung?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Dec 9 10:16:49 PST 2015

On Wed, Dec 09, 2015 at 11:31:28AM -0500, Alexander Seinfeld via Avodah wrote:
: Is there a l¹chatchila way to say Hallel? Chanted? Sung? In unison?
: Individually?

Responsively, I would think. Pesachim 119b says that this was the custom
in some medinos. Sukkah 38b-39a R' Chanan bar Rava says mitzvah la'anos
rashei peraqim. Chazan says Anah H' Hoshiah Nah, they answer Anah H'
Hoshia Na, etc... Abayei may even be saying that we double the last
pesuqim in Hallel because the responsive format doesn't work for them
otherwise. It depends how you understand the relationship between kofeil
and mosif. Rashi 39a makes it sound like the mosif takes over the role
of kofeil. And thus our minhag of saying both copies of the line to
ourselves defeats the original point.

Micha Berger             A wise man is careful during the Purim banquet
micha at aishdas.org        about things most people don't watch even on
http://www.aishdas.org   Yom Kippur.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rav Yisrael Salanter