[Avodah] chumrah leading to a kulah

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Dec 4 10:33:57 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 08:21:38PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: Chumros about Bein Hashmashos on Saturday end up being kulos about Bein
: Hashmashos on Friday. Chumros about Bein Hashmashos on Friday end up being
: kulos about Bein Hashmashos on Saturday. And so on.

Why? Someone who starts Shabbos earlier than 1 mil before sunset and
ends later than 90 min after sunset is machmir about bein hashemashos
on both days, as extreme as every shitah I've heard of.

I agree with your point, just that in this case, nothing compells
consistency.

Just as someone could be machmir both ways about grape juice: Someone
could refuse to use grape juice for qiddush or 4 kosos and also refuse
to drink stam mitz gafnum (or whatever you'd call it).

A chumerah in one din only causes a kulah in another (or a kulah in
one din only opens an opportunity to be machmir in another) when it's
a single decision about a single act in one event. Not when deciding
general rules -- there would be no problem with playing safe both ways.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             It is a glorious thing to be indifferent to
micha at aishdas.org        suffering, but only to one's own suffering.
http://www.aishdas.org                 -Robert Lynd, writer (1879-1949)
Fax: (270) 514-1507