[Avodah] submission to an authority

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Dec 3 10:20:30 PST 2015

From: saul newman via Avodah  <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>

is it or is it not a tenet of   Orthodoxy  that to be defined as O  one must
submit to some defined  human authority?    clearly,  we must deny the
preposition  that to be O one must submit to
either the entity called  'moetzets  gedolei hatorah'  of the USA or
Israel....
so, is there a tenet of  O  that submission to a defined panel of leadership
is  mandatory?

Aseh lecha rav.  You cannot be Orthodox if you refuse to submit to  /any/
rabbinical authority and if you insist on setting yourself up as your own
authority in all matters great and small.  Even someone who genuinely is a
great Torah scholar must consult with colleagues and not be arrogant.  If
there are any midos that define OO, they are self-importance  and arrogance.
This is also true of the "Orthodox" feminist movement, and  all movements and
individuals who reject the very idea of rabbinical  authority.

BTW we must NOT "deny the preposition" because we cannot make ourselves
understood without prepositions.  When I was in the 8th grade I had to
memorize this list:  in, of, to, for, by, on, into, over, under, with,  above,
below, at, from, across, beside, between, without.  Without the  preposition,
all attempts at communication would be like the Tower of  Babel.  Of course,
even /with/ the preposition, a lot of what goes on here  is just like that
-- misunderstandings, talking at cross-purposes, and throwing  bricks at one
another.

So, not to forget the main point -- aseh lecha rav.

--Toby Katz
t613k at aol.com
..