[Avodah] maaseh avot siman lebanim

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Nov 24 08:48:06 PST 2015

On 11/24/2015 10:52 AM, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:

> explanation #2 - There was no need for the disagreement between Esav and
> the sons of Jacob to involve murder.

What murder?  Esav was holding up Yaacov's funeral.  He had no right
to do that, and Yaacov's family had no need to put up with it.  Esav
of course knew very well that he'd sold the plot, and was therefore
in the wrong.  He just supposed, correctly, that they would not have
thought to bring the contract with them.

> It could have been solved by friendly negotiations by showing Jacob's
> legal right to Maarat HaMachpela.

And in the meantime Yaacov is just lying there waiting, which is a
bizayon.  To Chushim that was not acceptable, so he took direct action
and the funeral was able to proceed.

> There is no way to decide between these alternatives

There certainly is.  The conclusion of the episode is that Yaacov saw
Esav's blood on his feet, and laughed.   What more is needed to show
that Chushim was right?

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week