[Avodah] maaseh avot siman lebanim

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Nov 24 07:52:24 PST 2015

We are supposed to learn how to act from the avot.

The problem is that we frequently have our preconceived notions and then

put them into the avot rather than the reverse.

Below is an example I recently saw (from the har etzion site)

We all know the aggadah of the burial of Yaakov, the fight with Esav and

finally the deaf Chushin the son of Dan kills Esav

explanation #1 - The sons of Jacob didn't know how to handle the challenge

of Esav and argues with him but Esav was more clever. Chushin who was deaf

understood the "real" Esav and understood the resultant Chilul Hashem. So

he acts without considering the reactions to his act to claim the rights of

the descendants of Yaakov

explanation #2 - There was no need for the disagreement between Esav and

the sons of Jacob to involve murder. It could have been solved by friendly

negotiations by showing Jacob's legal right to Maarat HaMachpela. Instead

there are "deaf" people who rush to action before all peaceful ways are

followed. Rikvah who fought to prevent the fight between Yaakov and Esav

now loses both of them the same day.

There is no way to decide between these alternatives sometimes the

questions are stronger than the answers

--
Eli Turkel