[Avodah] Mitzvah Kiyumit

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Oct 15 19:39:33 PDT 2015

R' Micha Berger wrote:

> I think the bitul asei is only if one had a karkafta delo
> manach tefillin. So, after one's bar mitzvah, there is no
> bitul asei in omiting tefillin.

Are you saying that tefillin is a chiyuv d'Oraisa only once per lifetime?
I've heard that before, but have not seen any evidence of it. Any
citations? Are there any other chiyim which are only once per lifetime?

Some practical questions: If someone already wore tefillin once before, and
puts them on again now, is it a Chiyuv D'rabanan, or a Kiyum D'Oraisa, or
something else? And is he guilty (b'shogeg) of Bal Tosif for mistakenly
thinking that it would be a Chiyuv D'Oraisa?

Akiva Miller