[Avodah] Mitzvah Kiyumit

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Oct 15 03:19:34 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 07:55:52PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: There's no bitul aseh if a man omits tefillin? Could you please elaborate?

Actually, RMP noted off-list, there seems to be an explicit gemara,
Menachos 44a, where R' Sheishes says that he is mevatal 8 mitzvos --
one for each parashah for each tefillah (2 x 4).

Which led me to realize that for tefillin, like tzedaqah, I was thinking
of a case of going beyond the shiur.

How long must a man wear tefillin? Well, in the ideal it should be
whenever he is awake and not doing manual labor. In Rashi's day, few
wore tefillin at all. Today men wear it for davening, but only in order
to say Shema without looking like liars.

I think the bitul asei is only if one had a karkafta delo manach tefillin.
So, after one's bar mitzvah, there is no bitul asei in omiting tefillin.

There are also the mitzvos for which someone is eino metzuveh ve'oseh.
But those too are chiyuvim, just not for this person.

Also, in my conditional category, there are mitzvos that are pointless
unless one really wants the result. No one would give a gett just to
be meqayeim the mitzvah. And then there are mitzvos where one makes a
point of meeting the condition -- the way we wear a tallis qatan or
tallis just for the sake of wearing tzitzis.

(And the machloqes about which of the two is shiluach haqen.)

Oi, I forgot so much in the years since Rav Dovid's shiur... I clearly
mangled his original thought.

Micha Berger             A wise man is careful during the Purim banquet
micha at aishdas.org        about things most people don't watch even on
http://www.aishdas.org   Yom Kippur.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rav Yisrael Salanter