[Avodah] V'sein Tal U'matar

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Oct 15 08:09:44 PDT 2015

On 10/15/2015 03:54 AM, Moshe Yehuda Gluck via Avodah wrote:
> I was davening with the chazan this afternoon, as I had come into
> shul late. He said V’sein Tal Umatar, instead of V’sein Berachah
> (which, for those who come across this in the archives years from
> now, is the point of the year we are at now). I was in middle of my
> Shmoneh Esrei, though. No one else in shul realized. What would you do?

The reason one must go back if one asked for rain when it isn't
the rainy season is that rain in the summer is a curse.   But it
now it really is the rainy season (when is it not?) and we really
should be asking for rain, and the only reason we don't is that the
irrational minhag of praying for rain only during Iraq's rainy
season is too entrenched to overturn.  Therefore bediavad if an
individual did say "tal umatar" he needn't go back.  If the chazan
says it, it seems that he does go back, because that is the minhag;
however this is at least a weak halacha, so it seems to me that if
nobody corrects him then there's no need to be mafsik in davening
just to tell him to correct what isn't really a mistake at all.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week