[Avodah] How does Prozbul work?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Sep 16 02:50:07 PDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 11:00:56PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: If I am making them my shaliach to collect my loans on my behalf, then that
: sounds like Rav Asher Weiss' explanation. Sure, beis din is patur from lo
: yigos, but it was a big chidush to me that that's enough to exempt me from
: being m'shamet a loan that I still own. (But if one wants to go with the
: Collection Agency idea, then shlichus is irrelevant - beis din would need
: to own the loan.)

The big problem is that the difference in sevaros may make a particular
pruzbul text valid or not.

For example, how does hefqer BD hefqer work today, when courts do
not have a central Sanhedrin organizing them? I am giving the loan
to three hedyotos. Which 3? The three I named? (Are we invoking Beis
Shammai's notion that one can be mafqir only to a given person or set
of people? [Ymi Pei'ah 6:1 19b]) Then how is it HBDH and not a simple
matanah?

GCT!

Micha Berger             A person lives with himself for seventy years,
micha at aishdas.org        and after it is all over, he still does not
http://www.aishdas.org   know himself.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter