[Avodah] How does Prozbul work?

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Sep 13 05:05:22 PDT 2015

On 09/13/2015 04:01 AM, Lisa Liel wrote:
> I think a better question might be: will prozbul still work when
> shmitta is d'Orayta again?

Why wouldn't it?  Its effectiveness does not depend on shmita being
d'rabanan.  The only difference that made was in Hillel deciding he
had the right to promote it.  Since he did promote it, it will continue
when shmita becomes de'oraisa, unless and until some future beis din
declares it unethical.  And I don't think that will happen, because
such a declaration wouldn't stop it, it would just drive it to the
disreputable batei din.  Now that everyone knows about it you can't
make people forget it; Hillel uncorked the idea and it can't be pushed
back into the bottle.

--
Zev Sero               I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
zev at sero.name          intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in