[Avodah] Molad

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jul 29 08:51:09 PDT 2015

On 07/29/2015 11:33 AM, Micha Berger wrote:

> But few if any of us hold that the date line is 90 deg east of Y-m,
> east down 125.2 deg E, down Dongeng St in Changchun, China. To quote
> R Dovid Heber at<http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/kk-trav-dateline.htm>:
>      Families on the eastern strip of Dongfeng Street would recite
>      kiddush while families a block to the west would recite havdala.
>      It may be possible for those who want two days of Shabbos to walk
>      one block eastbound, down Dongfeng Street, after Seuda Shlishis and
>      start Shabbos again. Those who want to skip almost all of Shabbos
>      could take a short stroll westbound, and go from sunset Friday to
>      sunset Saturday.
> (This post needed something light to leaven it.)

Shu"T Bnai Tziyon points to a gemara about two villages within techum
shabbos, where it was Yom Kippur in one and not the other, because that
was the last place the messenger had made it before sunset.  (I can't
figure out how that actually worked, but that is what the gemara says.)
He avoids the awkwardness of the situation posited in this clip by
positing that the line is not one-dimensional but is several miles wide,
and that the area inside the line has an official din of sofek, like
bein hashmoshos.

--
Zev Sero               I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
zev at sero.name          intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in