[Avodah] Sources for Not Covering Hair?

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jul 28 07:21:00 PDT 2015

On 07/27/2015 10:55 PM, Meir Shinnar via Avodah wrote:
> At that point Mrs. Schwab interjected, but you know
> that none of the litvische rebbitzens covered their hair. At which point
> R Schwab agreed to that, and then agreed that RYBS was da'as torah.....
>
> That issue about the rav's wife not being unique is important -- it
> was a shitta in lita -- even if one the rav may have disagreed with,
> it was not one that was hutz lamachane. That is the crux of the issue.

No, it was *not* a shita in Litte, it was a makas medinah.  It was an
aveira that was prevalent among women, and the best the rabbonim could
do was not talk about it to the women, in the hope that they were
shogegin.

Even in an earlier generation, no less a person than R Akiva Eger had
no control over his wife and daughters' mode of dress:
http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=31632&pgnum=300

--
Zev Sero               I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
zev at sero.name          intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in