[Avodah] The Halakhic Status of an Epicurian

Isaac Balbin via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jul 20 21:55:23 PDT 2015

This is tangentially related only, but may be of interest in the
context. I asked Rav Hershel Schachter, Shlita, what to do if someone
who acts as a functionary at a Shira Chadasha (partnership) style
service wants to do likewise in a mainstream Orthodox Congregation. His
answer was, that such a person can be counted towards a Minyan, but no
Kibbudim should be afforded to them. We have one here in Melbourne,
which isn't like the one in Israel, but the strong word is that one
of Rabbi Avi Weiss's Maharatos (Rabba/Rabbis) will be hired to lead
that congregation. She was recently interviewed and claimed she was non
denominational because she wanted to break down boundaries.