[Avodah] Kaddish Yasom

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jul 20 20:09:58 PDT 2015

From: Micha Berger via Avodah  <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>
REMT said something that makes me wonder...  He suggested that our
(non-Yekke) current practice of every avel saying  qaddish is to make it
condusive for aveilim to feel they're discharging their  duty.

Micha  Berger

You are mainly talking about adults saying kaddish, but I remember one
tragic year when there were seven yesomim under bar mitzva age saying kaddish,
from three different families.  Two families had lost their mothers, one
family their father.  Who was going to tell these children, who came to  shul
faithfully every day, sometimes getting to school late  or skipping outings
with their friends, "You can't say kaddish for your Ima  or your Abba
today, someone else has kadima"?  Correct me if I am mistaken  but my impression
is that kaddish yasom is really mainly for genuine yesomim,  i.e., those who
lose their parents while they are still children.

--Toby  Katz
t613k at aol.com
..