[Avodah] reciting a shehechiyanu when performing a mitzvah for the first time

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jul 20 09:45:28 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 11:53:34AM -0400, M Cohen via Avodah wrote:
: http://tinyurl.com/o6rxcdf
: according to those that say you do NOT recite a shehechiyanu when performing
: a mitzvah for the first time (ie bar mitzvah),

Who are they?

All I know of is the Chasam Sofer (OC 55) -- well I guess I also know of
the Peri To'ar, his maqor -- who says that the berakhah when putting on
tefillin on one's bar mitzvah is supposed to be made with all the rest
of the mitzvos in mind.

The Radvaz says a ger says shehechiyanu when they emerge from the miqvah.

I am less clear when a girl becoming a bas mitzvah would make her
shechiyanu. The Ben Ish Chai says the girl should have in mind ol mitzvos
when making shehechiyanu on her celebratory dress. Paralleling what we
do by eating a new fruit on the 2nd evening of RH.

Micha Berger             Zion will be redeemed through justice,
micha at aishdas.org        and her returnees, through righteousness.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507