[Avodah] De-Chokifying Arayos (including MZ)

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jul 15 08:55:17 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 03:32:08PM +0000, Meir Shinnar wrote:
: You are assuming the shmona prakim see relevant only to those who fully
: accept Rambam's philosophy -- and that is a very unique position...

Nah, I'm just surmising that the two may be linked. If your notion of
redemption revolves around ideas and the thirst for knowledge, then
developing something like like-vs-dislike is a different topic than if
your notion of personal redemption is "sheyehei adir cheftzeinu leheitiv
im zulaseinu... bedemus haBorei, keveyakhol." (Bonus points for the
first person to identify the reference. <grin>)

So not that 8 Peraqim are only relevent to followers of the Rambam's
point, just that this particular point, and perhaps a couple to a
few others, may be of limited utility to the rest of us.

(8 Peraqim, BTW, is one of my more heavily used resources when teaching
for The Mussar Institute.)

Micha Berger             I always give much away,
micha at aishdas.org        and so gather happiness instead of pleasure.
http://www.aishdas.org           -  Rachel Levin Varnhagen
Fax: (270) 514-1507