[Avodah] De-Chokifying Arayos (including MZ)

Meir Shinnar via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jul 15 08:32:08 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 6:18 AM Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
> Lo zakhisi lehavin:
> It's hard to see how incest within the immediate family or eishes iss
> aren't mefursamot.
>
> Whether MZ is well known or not aside, even "kemaaseh Eretz Mitzrayim"...

> In any case, I will leave the Rambam as a tzarikh iyun that only affects
> the lives of those who agree with him that understanding theology and/or
> metaphysics is the perfection we strive for in life, above perfection
> of virtue. (Moreh, conclusion, worthy of its own thread.)

You are assuming the shmona prakim see relevant only to those who fully
accept Rambam's philosophy -- and that is a very unique position. I
think shmona prakim is studied by those who would never open the moreh
Rambam argues that a lust to steal or murder is a character flaw -- the
should be overcome -- but a lust for hazir or arayot is not a character
flaw -- although it too should be overcome. Why that is dependent on his
notions of the ultimate good, effort versus achievement, or mitzvot bne
noach I don't see -- nor do I think most others me that connection....