[Avodah] ..v'imru amen

Kenneth Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jul 10 13:27:55 PDT 2015

I wrote:

> The same question applies to the V'imru Amen which is near the end
> of Birkas Hamazon.

R' Zev Sero responded:

> Not really, because it's supposed to be said aloud by one person,
> with the others only answering amen.   It's only relatively
> recently that we've started each benching for ourselves, even
> when there's a zimun.

But we've *always* benched as individuals when there *isn't* a zimun.

But, for the sake of argument, let's suppose that originally, Oseh Shalom was part of benching only when a zimun was present, and then for some reason came to be said even by individuals. If that is indeed what happened, I can't help but speculate that there was an even earlier time, when benching with a zimun would include Oseh Shalom at that point, but benching with a *minyan* would include Kaddish at that point!

Akiva Miller