[Avodah] Sources for Not Covering Hair?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jul 27 07:10:59 PDT 2015

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 11:15:51AM -1000, R/ Dr Noam Stadlan wrote
on Areivim:
: ... I would hope that the practice of these women, including the
: wife of R. Yosef Dov Soloveitchik would be respected, and not regarded
: as ignorance...

To do that woud be to disagree with her husband.

See "Thinking Aloud", pg 113:

    DH: What is the heter for a married woman in her house not to cover
    her hair when there are outsiders present?

    RYBS: She has to cover her hair.

Another exchange:

    DH: Someone was asking about a woman wearing a kisui rosh in the
    house.

    RYBS: We pasken you should.

    DH: Someone showed me a gemara in Kesubos that b'toch chatzeira it
    should be mutar, since otherwise there is no way any woman could
    remain tachas ba'alah (72b). Offhand it occurred to me that if it was
    lo shechichei inshei - just for going around the house when no one's
    around, and someone just may drop in - then it would be mutar. But
    if you have people coming over b'kevius, then why would it be any
    different than going aroung in the street? Is there a special din
    in the bayis that there's no din of covering your head anymore?

    DH: Is this kisui ervah like most kisui ervah?

    RYBS: Of course.

    DH: What should I do for myself, for my wife?

    RYBS: You will find out.

There are other such quotes that make it clear that RYBS disagreed with
his wife's practice, but either didn't fight the issue or didn't win.

Micha Berger             If you won't be better tomorrow
micha at aishdas.org        than you were today,
http://www.aishdas.org   then what need do you have for tomorrow?
Fax: (270) 514-1507              - Rebbe Nachman of Breslov