[Avodah] Fwd: heter mechira

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Jul 19 00:55:41 PDT 2015

<<From http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/kk-shmitta-5775.htm >>

There are many inaccuracies in their statement and much is outdated.
"The produce that is sold in the regular stores during the year of Shmitta
predominantly comes from non-religious kibbutzim and moshavim, who
would never agree to sell their land.  "

I have no idea what this statement means. They in fact do sell their land.
The current situation
in Israel is that the chief rabbinate sends people to each of these
kibbutzim etc to explain to them what the heter mechira means and what are
the other options.  No one is forced to participate.

"However, there are presently many rabbanim who question whether the current
situation in Israel warrants this type of sale"

The figures I have heard is that 85% of Israeli produce is exported (mainly
to Europe).
Without the heter mechira one would have to close down almost the entire
agricultural development in Israel. In addition one is forbidden to sell
produce with kedushat sheviit to nonJews. That would mean having guards at
supermarkets checking that only Jews buy the produce

"This is compounded by the fact that the non-religious kibbutzim do not
observe those prohibitions
which Harav Kook instituted, and Harav Kook never permitted their current
practices."

The current chief rabbinate tries to enforce whatever Rav Kook instituted.
In fact most agricultural workers in Israel regardless of shemita are Arabs.

--
Eli Turkel

--
Eli Turkel