[Avodah] BIRCHAT KOHANIM AT THE KOTEL

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jun 30 12:06:33 PDT 2015

On 06/30/2015 01:22 PM, Baruch Cohen via Avodah wrote:
> I usually daven early every morning, and the Birchat
> Kohanim occurs later in the morning. My question is: do I have a Chiyuv to
> "duchen" if I'm in the audience and the Shaliach Tzibbur announces on the
> loudspeaker the word: "Kohanim!" Does that trigger a halachic obligation
> for me to duchen

No. If you have already duchened that day, you have no further chiyuv,
even if you hear the chazan, and even if someone directly tells you to
go up. However if you *choose* to duchen for a second (or third, etc)
time that day, you may do so with a bracha. (SA OC 128:3)

[Email #2. -micha]

PS: This applies also in an ordinary shul where they duchen at shachris
and musaf. Any cohen who duchened at shachris, and doesn't feel like
doing it again at musaf, needn't leave the room. He has no obligation
to answer the chazan's call. But those who do answer it duchen with a
bracha, because that is takanas chachamim.

--
Zev Sero
zev at sero.name