[Avodah] Another Chumera ends up Involving a Kula

Kenneth Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 21 18:55:29 PDT 2015

R' Micha Berger wrote:

> Actually, they were part of the 100 qolos, and in nusach Ashkenaz they
> still are. It's only because y'all starting blowing during chazaras
> hashatz that it's not obvious.

R' Zev Sero responded:

> No, these kolos are not part of the 100.  These are an extra 30,
> *after* the 100, and their only purpose is le'arvev es hasoton.
> And yet that doesn't count as "bechinam".

Okay, folks, I think it is clear that some of us have been exposed to minhagim that the others are unaware of. I suggest that we clarify the various minhagim, and tally up the different ways of dong it.

>From what I've seen, the vast majority of Nusach Ashkenaz shuls blow 30 times before Musaf, 30 during Chazaras Hashatz, 40 during or after Kaddish Tiskabel, and that is the end, for a total of exactly 100.

I have been in a Nusach Sfard shul where they blow 30 times before Musaf, 30 during the silent Musaf, 30 during Chazaras Hashatz, 10 during or after Kaddish Tiskabel, and that is the end, for a total of exactly 100.

Here in Elizabeth, we blow 30 times before Musaf, 60 during Chazaras Hashatz, 10 during Kaddish Tiskabel, and that is the end, for a total of exactly 100.

R' Zev, could you describe for us how the first 100 are blown, and when the extra 30 come in? And if anyone else wants to add to the list, please do so!

Akiva Miller
KennethGMiller at juno.com