[Avodah] missing years in Hebrew calendar

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon May 11 12:33:24 PDT 2015

At 02:57 PM 5/11/2015, R. Eli Turkel wrote:

><<I think this is tragic.  Rather than allow the blasphemous thought that
>the current vogue in scholarly circles might be wrong cross their minds,
>they feel forced to conclude that Chazal perpetrated multiple frauds and
>told multiple lies.  The inferiority complex many Modern Orthodox Jews have
>regarding secular scholarship is beyond tragic.>>
>
>I don't see how you can call this "blasphemous" R.  Schwab  once suggested
>that Chazal purposely changed the facts for a good reason. While he later
>retracted it would be hard to call his original opinion "blasphemous" .
>Furthermore several current Orthodox rabbis such as R. Leibtag do accept
>the secular dating.
>
>In any case the TABC article makes the clear point that Chazal had a
>tendency to conflate figures in Tanach.

<Snip>

The most definitive study on this topic is the recent book (2014)

The Challenge of Jewish History: The Bible, The Greeks & The Missing 168 Years

by Rabbi Alexander Hool

 From http://tinyurl.com/p42uvvj

There is a well-known conundrum concerning Jewish history: The
conventional chronology of the Western world - and academia - is in
direct conflict with traditional Jewish sources over the history of
... history. Incredibly, there is a gap of roughly 200 years: For
instance, the Talmud says the Second Temple stood for roughly 400
years, while mainstream historians today conclude that it stood for
almost 600 years. This conflict has major implications on what
occurred to who, and when. It also seems to question the accuracy of
the entire Jewish tradition as accepted dating methods seem to
contradict core parts of the traditional Jewish narrative. In
presenting fresh and startling astronomical, mathematical and
archaeological evidence, Rabbi Alexander Hool has charted new ground
in his quest to find the solution to this ancient problem. The
Challenge of Jewish History is revolutionary: it questions all
assumptions, dispels unfounded myths, and transports us back in time
over 2,500 years. With a subject of great significance and
fascination to all those interested in history, and a wealth of
scholarship and sources to impress academics, this intriguing book
gives us a new perspective on ....

This is a highly researched book based on Jewish and non-Jewish
sources.  the author concludes that there are no missing years and
seems to prove his conclusion.

I suggest that anyone who is really interested in this topic purchase
this book.

YL