[Avodah] missing years in Hebrew Calendar

Joseph Kaplan via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon May 11 07:16:37 PDT 2015

On 5/9/2015 2:23 PM, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:

> The student newspaper of the Torah Academy of Bergen County had a

> series of articles on the missing years in the Jewish calendar

> http://www.tabc.org/student-publications/kol-torah/index.aspx   - see

> achrei mot-kedoshim for the 3rd (final) article

There were (so far) two responses:

"I think this is tragic.  Rather than allow the blasphemous thought that the
current vogue in scholarly circles might be wrong cross their minds, they
feel forced to conclude that Chazal perpetrated multiple frauds and told
multiple lies.  The inferiority complex many Modern Orthodox Jews have
regarding secular scholarship is beyond tragic."

"I cannot believe TABC allowed this to be published as is. /Shreklach!/"

When I read this when it came out I remember thinking: what a refreshing
concept. Letting students use the educational tools they have been given to
think on their own and then to publish the results which (to my extremely
non-expert eyes) appears to be a nice bit of research and analysis - whether
correct or not.

Joseph