[Avodah] leap of faith

Kenneth Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 29 07:23:25 PDT 2015

R' Micha Berger wrote:
> I picked the one about parallel lines because no one ever
> experienced infinitely long parallel lines. They are based
> on imagining an extrapolation from experience.

Parallel lines are not provable, but it's not because they are based on experience.  Rather, they are based on definition. Find a pair of parallel lines that DO meet (such as on a sphere) and we'll simply say, "What I really meant was parallel lines on a *flat* surface." See more at "No true Scotsman".

My choice for something which is unprovable because it is based on personal experience is, "Is there someone whom you love? Prove it to me."

Akiva Miller