[Avodah] The Legacy of RSRH, Zt'L

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Apr 26 16:54:23 PDT 2015

At 06:52 PM 4/26/2015, R. Ben Waxman wrote:

I gave an answer on Areivim, but I saw a couple of things on Shabbat
which warrant an Avodah response. The first is from Yoma 86:A, Rashi,
B'Amor Lehem (my translation): "Evil comes to chassidim and chachamim
because "They desecrated My Holy name" (note: Rashi is of course
assuming that they didn't do any particular sin to warrant what happened
to them). How did they desecrate (God's name)? In those places to where
they were exiled, the non-Jews say "These are the people of God" and He
can't redeem them. Conclusion: God's name has been desecrated." End quote.

>Therefore the creation of the State is, in of itself,  a Kiddush Hashem.
>Rav Soloveitch tz"l wrote about this point in Kol Dodi Dofek and in his
>drashot for the Kinot, as did Rav Zvi Yehuda Kook tz"l.

We all know that there were great Torah scholars who disagreed with
the assertion that " the creation of the State is, in of itself,  a
Kiddush Hashem."  to name just 3,  the Satmar Rebbe,  Rav
Breuer,  and Rav Schwab. They were also most certainly familiar with
the gemara you quote and the RASHI.

If you  had written, "Therefore, according to some Torah scholars the
creation of the State is, in of itself,  a Kiddush Hashem."  I would
not disagree.  However,  your blanket statement, "Therefore the
creation of the State is, in of itself,  a Kiddush Hashem."  is IMO
is not valid.

YL