[Avodah] Rabbi Noach Isaac Oelbaum's Position on the Kosher Switch

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Apr 16 19:35:24 PDT 2015

On 04/16/2015 09:59 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> They invoke the words "sefeik sefeika", which I don't understand, since
> the random element is to insure an unknown delay, not a doubt about
> whether or not the switch eventually turns the light on.

I assume they disagree with this characterisation.  This is your editorial
opinion, that since it's inevitable that sooner or later the ducks will all
be in a row and the light will come on, all that it achieves is a delay of
random length.  They would say no, each time the sequence is triggered (let's
say every minute) is a discrete event, in which there is a sfek-sfeka whether
anything will happen, and the fact that in the next hour there will be 60 more
such opportunities, one of which is "bound" to succeed, is irrelevant.  They
would also point out that there *is* in fact a doubt whether the light will
ever turn on (before Shabbos is over or the owner decides to flip the switch
back), and they would deny your premise that the tininess of that doubt renders
it meaningless.  *You* think it's halachically insignificant; they are not
required to agree with you.

> But at least now my opening question has some kind of resolution:
> No poseiq makes a point about how the switches differ, its a machloqes
> about whether the switch is more like bringing a candle outside or
> opening a window.

They seem to say that this is like a case where at the time you open
the window there is neither a wind nor a candle, but you know that some
time later a goy is likely to put a candle in front of the window, and
that some time after that a wind is likely to blow and put it out.

On 04/16/2015 08:56 PM, T613K at aol.com via Avodah wrote:
> Now that Shabbos lamps are readily available -- they work by covering
> the light rather than turning it off -- why do we need the Shabbos
> switch at all?

I assume
1. To save electricity
2. If you want a brighter light than you can get from a 15w CF light (which
is the maximum that it's safe to put in a Shabbos lamp)
3. For applications other than lights

--
Zev Sero
zev at sero.name