[Avodah] Rabbi Noach Isaac Oelbaum's Position on the Kosher Switch

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Apr 16 14:48:39 PDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 04:25:42PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
:> What's relevant is the probability of the wind eventually blowing the
:> candle out or the switch turning the light off. If it's a rov or maybe
:> a rube deruba, then it's gerama.

: That doesn't seem to be what the SA says.  But again, with the caveat that
: intention might make a difference.

But we already know it does, according to RSZa and numerous other posqim.
IOW, your seifa answers your reisha.

: >Whether you can break down the likelihood of the melakhah occuring into
: >a union of the probability of a number of sub-steps or not doesn't seem
: >to me to impact the question. Because this isn't a safeiq situation,
: >it's whether your action can be blamed for the melakhah.

: It's putting further causal distance between "cause" and "effect".
: What if you had a series of these routines, each of which may or may not
: call the next one, until the last one which may or may not do something?

That's exactly what I'm saying -- gerama is always a chain of events
that can be subdivided according to your taste (how fine grained you wish
to define the word "event").

There is an oft-discussed difference between melakhah and CM, where the
latter subdivides into gerama (culpable) and garmi (no libability) but
hilkhos Shabbos does not. And then even so, garmi is about number of
human actions, not physical events.